Monday, March 14, 2016

Broken Legacy: A New Superman/Wonder Woman Story


It's an uncertain time for DC Comics. The New 52 reboot has run its course. Now, DC is gearing up for yet another major relaunch, which they're calling Rebirth. It's not being billed as a reboot on the same scale as the New 52, but it promises to bring major changes to DC Comics once more. For some, that's going to be a good thing. For others, it'll be a bad thing. As always, everyone will find something to bitch about.

But of all the developments from the New 52 that have been most memorable, I'd say the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship is definitely near the top. For the first time, DC actually put some serious effort into developing this relationship in a meaningful way and they did it without denigrating Lois Lane or resorting to Elseworlds. The result has led to some pretty damn awesome stories, which have become one of the greatest sources of romance in superhero comics. Then again, this is an era where both Marvel and DC just love fucking up iconic romances so it's not like the bar is that high. Just ask Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson.

There's no sign yet that the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship will continue after rebirth. Whatever the case, the New 52 helped establish that this relationship can work and be awesome. It helped inspire me to write my first ever Justice League story, Strangers In Paradise. Now, I feel like I'm ready to write another one.

This new story actually takes place within the New 52 continuity, specifically before Justice League #12, the now-iconic issue where Superman and Wonder Woman came together. The premise of this story is built around bring them together in a different way. It takes place at a time when Wonder Woman is learning about the dirty secrets of the Amazons and Superman's identity is still intact. That's not to say I won't take a few liberties here and there, but I'll try not to take as much as I did before.

This story won't be quite as long or as elaborate as Strangers In Paradise. It'll also be a bit more mature in terms of content, but not overly graphic. It deals with themes that are difficult even for superheroes to deal with, but in a way I hope will bring out the right kind of drama. Given the response to my previous story, I hope this one helps raise the bar.


As always, I ask that readers take the time to leave feedback for this and all my other stories. Feedback, be it constructive or otherwise, helps inspire me to keep improving and that's exactly what I want. For Superman fans, Wonder Woman fans, and every fan in between, I want this story to be as awesome as it can be. Anything less is unacceptable. Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment