Tuesday, June 11, 2013

X-men Supreme + PopMatters.com = Major Announcement


Got some exciting news to announce! No, Marvel hasn’t offered me a job and no, Scarlett Johannsen still hasn’t responded to my marriage proposal. But hopefully, this will improve the future of X-men Supreme. I have received an offer from the fine folks at PopMatters.com and they were sufficiently intrigued by my passionate, and sometimes obscene, reviews that they have offered me a chance to write regular comic book reviews for them. So I won’t just be another faceless fanboy posting his comic book rants on some obscure blog. My work will actually be posted to a regular website! To say I’m excited about this would be like saying Power Girl’s tits are just average.

I rest my case.
So because of this opportunity and the maybe foolish hope that it will help both this blog and the official X-men Supreme website, the format for my reviews will change. I understand I spend a lot of time ranting and raving, sometimes going off on complete tangents that recount the horrors of high school or why ex-girlfriends are living incarnations of Satan. For these reviews, I’ll have to be more concise. So they’ll be shorter and edited by the fine folks at PopMatters.com for widespread public consumption. Hopefully, that means less spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. In other words, suck it, grammar Nazis!

I’ll also have to wait a while to post my reviews until they’re analyzed by people way smarter than me. I know I’ve been pretty good about posting my reviews regularly, but now I’m trying to make them more professional and hopefully more awesome. I started doing reviews just as something to help provide extra content for my blog and for my X-men Supreme website. I’ve come to enjoy it so much that it seems as though some people are genuinely fond of them. For that I thank those people and I hope they continue to enjoy my distinct critical style under PopMatters.com.

As for those of you who don’t give a damn about the hard work I put into my reviews and care only about the images I post, I want to say tough shit, but I have too much love for those people as well. Some don’t get a chance to read the books I review and rely on my reviews for insight and updates. With that in mind, here’s how I’m going to try working this blog from now on.

Every week, I’ll pick some comics to review and work with PopMatters.com to post it. And once PopMatters.com posts it, I’ll also post it on my blog, possibly with a few extra tweaks and rents. In addition, I’ll create separate posts that I’ll call “Scanned Thoughts.” It’ll basically post some of the images that I usually use in my reviews and add a few quick blurbs. Like if in a new issue of Uncanny X-men there’s a page where Emma Frost and Dazzler strip down to their underwear and have an oil wrestling match, I’ll post it and make a few quips about it. But I won’t be as thorough as I was with my previous reviews. I’ll save that for the actual insight that I’ll post in PopMatters.com.

Now if this shit doesn’t work, I’ll tweak it. If someone has a better idea, I’ll listen. But there are only so many hours in the day and I can’t write two reviews for the same damn comic. Maybe if I had Sage’s brain and the Flash’s speed, I could. But for now, I’ve got to work within my mortal constraints and I think this is the best way to do it.

Almost as excited as Cyclops. Almost.
So once again, I thank the wonderful people at PopMatters.com for giving me this opportunity! Hope this is a bold new phase for X-men Supreme. Excelsior!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, good for you for trying to take it to the next level. As someone who makes minimum wage, I appreciate your reviews, since I can't really afford to go out and buy many comics myself. You're the guy I come to, stay in the loop of the X-Men Universe. X-Men Supreme is really awesome, btw! Keep up the amazing work, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. Support like yours is what landed me this gig and I hope it turns into bigger and better things.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Jack!!! Ever since we met on the Jean Grey forum years ago, I have highly enjoyed reading your reviews. Although I haven't commented on every single one of them, I always appreciate reading your honest take on the storylines. I always knew you'd get this sort of recognition! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't forgotten about you too. I'm glad you enjoy my reviews. Now I hope they'll reach an even wider audience with PopMatters.

      Jack

      Delete