Friday, October 19, 2012

X-men Supreme Issue #65: The Phoenix Saga Part 3 PREVIEW!

The X-men Supreme fanfiction series is taking on a huge event in the Phoenix Saga and so far there have been only ominous warnings of the cosmic threat to come. Well the warnings are just about up! The Phoenix Force is closing fast and Jean Grey is at ground zero! So far, I've gotten a pretty positive response from the loyal Jean Grey fans of X-men. I hope it continues because as Marvel has shown over the years, Jean Grey is central to the mythos of the Phoenix Saga. But that mythos will have a few twists in the context of the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. I've already shown a few of those twists and I intend to show plenty more!

Anyone who knows X-men or the story of the Phoenix Saga understands that the story itself has become quite convoluted over the years. As Marvel has told, retold, and retconned the events of the Phoenix Saga, the story surrounding the Phoenix has become difficult to follow. This has not been lost on me. I understand that stories as big as the Phoenix Saga are difficult to keep under control while keeping it compelling. I have a plan for the Phoenix Saga and I want it to be easier for fans to follow. I've already set up some elements. Sebastian Shaw and the Inner Circle have made their presence known. So has Emma Frost. All have strong ties to the original Phoenix Force, but the nature of those ties will be different as I'll reveal in the next two issues. The next issue is well underway and as such, I've prepared an extended preview for what you can expect in this vital turning point of the X-men Supreme Phoenix Saga!

“Hnn…”

The tired groans of Warren Worthington III echoed through the War Room as he stirred from his impromptu nap. Tired and groggy, he slowly rose up to discover he had been hunched over the main computer console. It definitely showed in his stiff neck and sore back. He hadn’t expected to fall asleep, but while obsessing over this mess involving Shaw Industries it easy to negate little things like sleep.

“Ugh…dozed off again,” he said to himself, “Guess I need more coffee.”

As he rose up he realized just how little progress he had made. The whole War Room was a mess, littered with stacks of papers he printed out and various data disks he had been going over. He couldn’t remember which ones were junk and which ones were important. At this point, he barely remembered what he was looking for.

Reaching across the table for his coffee mug, he looked inside to see that it was still half-full. It appeared to have been sitting on the table all afternoon, making it look less than refreshing to say the least. It also reminded him of how distracted he had been.

‘Boy, I am so not cut out for this sort of thing. This is Beast’s expertise, not mine. He’s got the inquisitive mind. I’ve got nothing but hunches and baseless speculation. Maybe he and the Professor were right. I am obsessing too much over this.’

Setting his coffee mug aside, Warren slouched on his chair and roughly rubbed his sore forehead. It hadn’t been lost on him that while he was chasing Shaw’s ghost, Jean was suffering. She needed the support of her friends and everyone else was going out of their way for her but him. Then there was the mission to save Emma Frost and those hostages from the Reavers. Everybody else was able to drop what they were doing and go after them, yet he couldn’t do the same. It had to be a bad sign when his obsession started getting in the way of his duty as an X-man.

‘I’m such a jerk! Why did I ever think this could be a good idea? Testing my wealth against my wings? What’s the point? I’m an X-man! If I’m going to obsess over which is more effective, my wings or my wealth, then maybe I’ve forgotten what Professor Xavier has taught me!’

Looking at the mess before him, Warren Worthington III shook his head and turned away. He had enough of this and it already cost him. If he kept it up then it would only drive a wedge between him and his friends. Right now, the X-men needed him. Jean Grey was ailing and needed all their support.

“Guess I’ll have to clean all this up later,” he sighed.

The winged mutant pushed the stacks of papers aside and prepared to power down the computer. He heard Rogue mention earlier that they had some guy visiting who may be able to help Jean. If he was to start making up for his recent behavior, it should definitely be present for this. But just as he was about to power button on the computer, something caught his attention.

“Hmm? What’s this?” he wondered.

On the screen, he saw something he didn’t expect. It was an email forwarded to him by someone at Worthington Industries. It was encrypted and sent to his personal email account, indicating it was serious. He remembered sending out a number of inquiries to various Worthington associates, but he hadn’t gotten much of a response from them. For a moment he debated whether or not he should answer it. There may be something inside that would only rekindle his obsession, but a part of him was just too curious.

“Someone actually responded?” he said curiously, “From Worthington Electronics?”

It sounded promising. It could be nothing. There was only one way to find out.

“Guess it couldn’t hurt to check it out.”

With the click of the mouse, he opened the email and decrypted it. Within seconds a brief message came up. It seemed bland enough. The subject line read “Requested Specifications.” The content of the email didn’t seem too shocking. Then Warren opened the attachment to the message. What he saw next filled him with dread.

“Holy Hell…Shaw, you despicable bastard! I knew it!” he exclaimed as he sat back down and started typing feverishly.

As he scanned through the attachment, more details became clear. Just when it seemed he was at a dead end, he got the break he was looking for.

“You think you can pull a stunt like this on me and my friends, Shaw? Think again! No more hiding! Time to see what you and your cronies are really up to!”


In addition, the variation on Brian Brinlee's commission for Jean Grey in her Phoenix costume went over very well. I know X-men uniforms are a popular subject and that applies to the X-men Supreme fanfiction series as well. So if anyone out there is Photoshop inclined, feel free to take the Jean Grey commission or any commission for that matter and give it a tweak. Contact me and I'll be happy to post it! Ideally, I would love to get a variation for each issue of the Phoenix Saga. But I understand that may be asking a bit much. I also would like to get more feedback on each issue. I don't think that's asking too much. So if you haven't already, please take the time to post your feedback in each issue of the X-men Supreme fanfiction series or contact me directly. Until next time, take care and best wishes! Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment