Friday, January 27, 2012

X-men Supreme Issue 46: Paradise Mystery PREVIEW

The dog days of winter have set in and the X-men Supreme fanfiction series keeps moving along! I've been keeping warm by my computer screen, churning out more story to move this fanfiction forward. I understand that the past few issues of X-men Supreme Volume 3: Ashes of Hope have been a bit political. At a time when the American presidential race is heating up, it's only appropriate that the world of X-men Supreme deal with such issues. At the same time, I understand that there's only so far that political stories can go with a comic book audience. So I'll come out and say right now that politics will not dominate X-men Supreme in this volume or future volums. It will only play a secondary role. With that in mind, the new issue of X-men Supreme takes a break from politics and gets back to the kind of action that I'm sure most X-men fans would appreciate. I've prepared a brief preview here to offer a nice taste of what you can expect.

“Father? Do you have a moment?”


“For you, Lorna, always,” said the master of magnetism as he turned to face her.


Taking off his helmet, Magneto entered his opulent throne room where his daughter was waiting for him.


“Tell me, what is on your mind, my dear?” he asked.


“A number of things, actually,” she said, “I was surveying the new residential areas with Wanda today. The buildings look good, definitely a step up from the old apartment my mom and I used to live in. But some of the residents aren’t too keen on the rules we’re laying out. There’s still a lot of theft, petty feuds, and vandalism.”


“Were you and Wanda able to contain the situation?” he asked cryptically.


“Yes, but it still feels like mob mentality out there. A lot of these mutants are here from the uprising. They didn’t come to live peacefully. They came to fight. Now that the fighting is over, they can’t seem to move on.”


“That is to be expected in any nation founded through conflict. Preserving order rarely happens overnight, particularly when the people still feel threatened.”


“But they aren’t threatened!” Lorna argued, “I mean yeah, we have ten different armies watching us, but they’re leaving us alone! Why can’t they accept that?”


“Most of these mutants have been living with that threat for most of their lives. Part of the promise I made them was to free them from it. It is a promise I still intend to make good on.”


“But how? It seems the only way they’ll ever be satisfied is if we go back on the deal that allowed us to be our own country in the first place.”


“Then like me, they’ll have to learn to compromise,” said the master of magnetism, “They may not like it, but if they want to live on this sanctuary they will accept it. We’ve spent a great deal of time rebuilding this nation and making it our own. I will not allow it to succumb to chaos and decadence. That you can be sure of.”


Lorna smiled somewhat at his strong words. Her father had many flaws, but lack of resolve wasn’t one of them. She still sensed he didn’t like this situation, but he was doing the best he could with it. For that she was proud of him.


Her gesture made Magneto smile as well. Of all those who stood beside him during these difficult times, few had a more profound effect on him than his once estranged daughter. She proved time and again that he could temper his anger for humanity and focus more on his fellow mutants. It was something he was still getting used to, but he was finding new ways to further his goals.


“I trust your word, Father,” she said, “I just have so much hope for this place and so does Wanda. We can do so much good for mutants by giving them a sanctuary. If we can show the world that mutants can create a peaceful society, then maybe we can move beyond this whole conflict with humanity.”


“Maybe…” said Magneto distantly, “That reminds me, have you spoken to Pietro? What’s his status on that little side-project I gave him?”


“You mean the caves?” she said, “Yeah, I did talk to him about that. He said they found some of Hodge’s old excavations in a quarry near the coast. It was in pretty bad shape because of cave-ins, but Avalanche got them through.”


“Did they find anything unusual?”


“Not that I know of,” she shrugged, “Why? What are you expecting to find?”


Magneto fell silent. He turned away from his daughter and back towards the balcony. As much as he cared for her support during this endeavor, there were still some things she just couldn’t share with her. This was one of them.


“Watch over the Citadel, Lorna. I’m going to pay him and the Brotherhood a visit,” he said as he put his helmet back on.

In addition to this preview, I have yet another update to the X-men Supreme Official Panels section. My old friend, MarvelWriter03, has submitted another piece. This time it's a nice rendition of Angel in a unique X-men Supreme look. As always, I deeply appreciate such contributions to this fanfiction series. If anyone else wishes to submit their work to X-men Supreme, please let me know and I'll be happy to discuss it. Or if you just want to talk comics with me, feel free to contact me at any time. There is so much more to come with this fanfiction series and I look forward to sharing it. Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment