Friday, January 21, 2011

X-men Supreme Issue 25: Power Play PREVIEW!

Another day another update for the X-men Supreme fanfiction series! Now that the bios section is up-to-date, I'm focusing on the meat of the series. X-men Supreme Volume 2: War Powers opened with a significant arc. I didn't want to beat around the bush this time. I wanted to bring some fresh elements into this fanfiction series. A new character like Nightcrawer is one way to take it. Another will take center stage in the Issue 25: Power Play. It won't introduce a string of new character, but it will bring back a few elements that were set up in X-men Supreme Volume 1: Mutant Revolution! As always I've put together a quick preview below. I hope it gets all you X-men fans psyched for the next step in this unfolding fanfiction series!


It was somewhat surprising. Wanda actually looked excited about the idea of a mutant nation with legitimate authority in the international community. It seemed a lot less chaotic than the war her father pushed. It would free the mutants of this world that had been oppressed and that was her main concern. Looking around at this old facility, she was already picturing elaborate buildings and bustling squares where mutants could just live in peace.

Even the X-men weren’t adverse to it. It meant they wouldn’t have to keep coming here to clean up messes left by people like Hodge and Magneto. In a ways it would be an extension of the institute goal to give mutants an environment where they could thrive. With the mutant population growing, a full fledged nation sounded appropriate.

“It might actually work,” said Wanda as she started walking about the dilapidated area, ignoring the UN officials as they passed by, “We could turn this into a real homeland. Mutants would finally have a place to pursue their hopes and dreams without fear of persecution.”

“Plus, think of the tourism dollars,” grinned Angel, “I’m sure a nation of mutants will get everybody’s attention.”

“Hopefully for the better of course,” said Storm.

“Of course it’ll be better,” said Wanda, now smiling for the first time, “It could be more than just a mutant haven. It could be a sanctuary! Even father wouldn’t be completely opposed to such an idea.”

“Oh how would you know? Father’s in jail thanks to these meddling jerk offs,” scoffed Pietro.

That earned the speedster a look from all the X-men. He had a way of killing any sense of optimism and Wolverine wasn’t amused. He drew his claws again and pointed them right at Pietro’s neck. This time Cyclops didn’t hold him back.

“Bub! You’re seriously testing my patience and that ain’t smart!” growled the feral mutant.

“Logan no…” groaned Beast as he tried to step between them.

But Cyclops and Marvel Girl got in his way.

“Let it go, Beast,” said Cyclops in a serious tone.

“Yeah, Quicksilver needs the bejesus scared out of him,” snickered Marvel Girl.

Beast didn’t approve of such tactics, but none of the other X-men opposed Wolverine’s actions. They were just as sick of Pietro’s comments and if anyone could get him to fall in line besides his sister, it was Wolverine. But for some reason, Pietro remained defiant.

“What are you going to do? Stab me? Amputate my limbs?” scoffed Pietro, “That’s not very peaceful for an X-man.”

“Don’t insult me, speedy. There’s more than one way to beat some sense into a pig-headed punk like you!” growled Wolverine, his face just inches from Pietro.

It was the kind of threatening leer that made even Pietro hold back a bit. This was the same man who jumped a sentinel and took down his father. He wasn’t going to push him any further than he had to. His well-being may depend on it.

Sensing he got the message, Xavier gave Wolverine a look and the feral mutant withdrew his claws.

“Do us all a favor and keep your dumbass opinions to yourself! You don’t want to be part of the solution, you might as well get the hell…”

But Wolverine stopped in mid sentence. Just as he was putting Pietro in his place, his keen senses picked up on something strange. He started sniffing the air. Something didn’t smell right. Out of nowhere it smelled like something was burning. Within seconds the smell got progressively stronger. Soon, his instincts were giving him all kinds of bad vibes.

“Is something wrong, Wolverine?” asked the Professor suspiciously.

“Say, is it getting hot in here or am I just excited?” asked Iceman.

“Please tell me that’s a dirty joke,” said Rogue, who started to feel it as well.

“No, I’m serious,” he said, his ice form starting to melt, “It’s really getting…”

Then Wolverine picked up on something new. Something in the air wasn’t right. Now it wasn’t just burning. It was on the verge of exploding. This couldn’t be natural. It was as if someone or something was lighting a match and igniting the air around them. It all seemed to focus on a single area around Xavier. As soon as Wolverine traced it he acted on a whim.

“GET BACK!”

So far I'm pleased with how X-men Supreme Volume 2 is unfolding. I'm also really pleased to see more comments coming in. I mentioned rekkanoryo in my last update. She was very generous in reviewing a number of issues. I know it sounds like I make a big deal of it, but it really IS a big deal. X-men Supreme is a massive undertaking that takes up quite a bit of time (and money). It's important to get feedback so I know that I'm using all this effort effectively. So for everyone who takes the time to read X-men Supreme, please take the time to comment on each issue as well. If you have any questions or comments you want to ask me personally, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm always willing to listen! Until next time, take care and best wishes X-men fans. Excelsior!

Jack

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Jack. I just read through your preview and I must say, you definitely have a knack for writing the X-Men. I enjoyed this small preview more than 80% of the X-Men comics on the market right now. I hope this becomes something even bigger for you. I'd love to see an X-editor pop by your site one day and offer you an actual X-story. Anyway, great job and the best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kenneth! I really appreciate the sentiment. One of my goals for X-men Supreme is for it to be in the eyes of the fans a legitimate outlet for X-men. I'm developing this series as if Marvel commissioned me to write this. As such, I hold it to a higher standard and work hard to make sure it's updated on a regular basis. If you feel it's better than the comics on the racks now, then I know I'm doing something right! I hope I can continue to do so with the previews and the issues themselves. I've got so much planned! I've literally got YEARS of stories laid out and so long as people like you are supporting me, I'll keep churning them out!

    Believe me, I would love it if an editor from the X-books actually showed up and gave my story a glance. However, I've heard that Marvel has a strict policy of not supporting fanfiction. They don't generally support anything they have no control over. I hope if I set X-men Supreme apart enough, it will gain some level of affirmation. For all the work I put into it, that would make it worth it!

    Thanks again Kenneth and if ever you have any questions, feel free to contact me! I'll be happy to address them. The next issue comes out in a week! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete